Friday 10 February 2023

A Start on the American Hardware Supply Kit Build

 We'll get to the American Hardware building in a minute, but first I wanted to show the picture that Brian sent this week of his new diorama he's been working away at.The main structures and silos are the Walthers Bakery kit.  I like the dark colour Brian has used here, and I kind of like that some of the ties on the spur are missing too. 

Brian also found time to double back for another picture of the gondola that I posted here a couple of weeks ago.  Not sure how he did it, but this time he managed to grab a shot of the interior.
Rails, gravel and dirt, and some broken ties.  Maybe these ties are the ones missing from the rail spur on his diorama.

As for me, I got a bit of a start on one of the structures that had I picked up at the Woodstock Train Show 3 weeks ago.  I really like assembling or kit bashing these type of structure kits, and I've looked at the American Hardware Supply kit in hobby shops and on-line for a long time.  I was pretty happy to run across this one at a friendly price at Woodstock.
I also watched a video of how another modeler assembled the same kit. Not saying I'll do the same things, but there's a couple of ideas that I might try out for myself. The video is a half hour long, but there are some interesting ideas in it.  Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK5t6gbq9_w&t=988s

Below is a look at the structure's walls while they're still on their sprues

Pretty much the same view again below, but I've painted the concrete pillar areas with a darker grey.  Sort of pre-weathering, or pre-shading I think it's called

And the same picture yet again, but with the brick areas painted.  I used CraftSmart Brick Red craft paint applied with a flat brush for this. 
 
That's as far as I've gotten with this building so far...next up will be to darken down the brick a bit with a dark wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment