Friday 23 December 2022

Fixing Up Structures (Part Two)

I left off last time as this structure was about to make a trip over to the workbench to have the roof cleaned up a little.  Well, that's done, including gluing down the roof vents onto the left hand end of the roof. I also added one more similar vent that I found I had on hand, and a couple of small ones at the other end of the roof.

All set to go back into place on the layout.

Next up for such maintenance is this pretty large industrial building.  This building is just shy of 49 1/2 inches long, and I spot my 86 foot boxcars at it. It will get a little bit more that a dusting though.  See that sort of bump-out at the far end of the building?  I want to take that off so that I can extend the spur track by the extra five or so inches.

If I take that offset out and extend the track, I think I'll be able to spot an extra 86 foot boxcar in there. If I put 3 of the big boxcars in here now, they look kind of like they're "forced" in there. 

This is the section that I want to modify

And after a few minutes of work, the short wall section is removed and lying on the bench on it's way to the parts box in case I ever have a need for such a thing. The depth of the end section of the building will be trimmed a bit and then put back in place. Not sure just yet, but when the track is extended I might need to add or relocate a loading dock door too.

That's as far as I've gotten with this project.  I hope to have it finished up real soon.

In case you somehow missed it, there was a pretty wild truck-train crash in Tennessee this week.  The truck was carrying a 120 foot-long concrete I-beam intended for a nearby overpass project. The two train crew members suffered minor injuries.  Here's the link to video of the collision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osO5jkxSP_A

And drone video of the aftermath of the crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8TOHUYmbZc

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and very Happy Holidays.


2 comments: