Friday 17 May 2024

Highway Overpass Part 3

So back to the overpass project now after a few days away from it.  I shortened up the pier heights by about 3/4" so that, at least to my eyes, the whole thing doesn't look quite so spindly or fragile now.

I don't have any double stack container cars, but I have a few old containers, so I stacked two of them together in a gondola to double check the clearance height, because you never know.  Luc thinks I should have an auto rack train. A nice idea, but it's not likely to happen any time soon.

Lots of room between the top of the container and the bottom of the overpass girders.

I also began re-doing the small area underneath the overpass, with an eye to moving the vehicle entrance to the trans-load property over a few inches, but I haven't gotten to that part yet.

Here's a few looks at the way things sit right now:

Since the layout in general is somewhat modern I've added graffiti to the support piers.  Some of it is hand scribbled, and some is done with decals.

Not much greenery seems to grow beneath an overpass, so I'll be removing that which we see here, and replacing it with gravel.


A view of the new overpass from the other side, and what do you know, there's JSSX 813 about to rumble underneath it.

I also still have to put gravel/ballast at the bottom of the piers to fill in the small gaps

As part of 813's train, there's that new 60 foot Greenbrier boxcar.

And by the way, one of those stupid plastic couplers on that brand new $65 (plus shipping, plus tax) model boxcar, from Aurora Miniatures broke almost right away, 'cuz those couplers suck.  I've since replaced both couplers on that car with Kadee #158's.  THEY won't break.

A look at some of the vehicular traffic on the overpass
It's a pretty busy area of the city, so I should probably try to get a couple more vehicles to use here.  I don't have any passenger vehicles, so maybe I'll try to pick up two or three of those.

Have a good week everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment