Friday 10 November 2023

A Bit of Roadwork

5708 is stopped here on South Industrial Blvd., as there has been an intermittent, but ongoing situation with the roadway. That section of the street has been popping up and out of place from time to time, and causing derailments and just not looking very good.  Time to replace that piece of the road.

This piece of the street trackage has caused derailments and caused trains to stop if it happens to catch on the engine's truck.

That section of the road is made of a piece of .040 styrene, cut and filed to size, and press-fitted into place.
I easily lifted out the old piece, and traced around it onto a clean piece of .020 styrene. Then I cut it out just a little bit bigger than the original, and carefully filed the edges down until it fit into place correctly.

I scored a couple of lines into the styrene to represent concrete sections with the back of my Xacto blade, and then painted the styrene with a beige coloured acrylic craft paint to represent aged concrete.
Random cracks in the concrete are simply drawn on with a .003 black artist's pen.  I need to colour in those whitish areas, particularly between the rails. They have been caused by me when cleaning the rails, as I've inadvertently scraped away the paint.

Over on the other side of the layout, along the GTW line, I took this nice photo of 6252 (an SD38) just as it's about to pop out from beneath the Gratiot Avenue overpass.

Have a good week

No comments:

Post a Comment