Friday 1 September 2023

BNSF GP39V

For September, the picture at the top of the blog shows a former Port Huron & Detroit boxcar spotted at the unnamed warehouse on the JSSX.  I got that boxcar from Luc years ago, but I really don't remember who did the patching and weathering on it.

That low grey warehouse in the foreground was scratch-built by me years ago, and then I actually shortened it by maybe about 8 inches or so in order to fit the outdoor loading dock onto the left-hand end.  The red brick building was 1or 2 dollar find at a train show and was only 3 walls and a broken roof with a hole in it when I got it. The warehouse does see a lot of rail service, and typically involves a short train making a runaround move to spot the boxcar(s) there.

A look at the details found on the loading dock.  I made the pallets from Evergreen styrene strips, and the steel ramp was scratched out of styrene as well.

In 1:1 scale locally, there's a BNSF GP39V here in Sarnia. Not sure when it arrived here, but I happened to catch it switching the IOX (Imperial Oil loading rack) on Saturday.


Crossing Devine Street


I tried to take a photo of that CN GP9 that the BN engine is coupled with too, but this is what happened.
And the guy looked right at me as I held my camera as he drove past me.  At that point I just gave up.

Below, we have the Lee A. Tregurtha southbound, coming in off Lake Huron on Tuesday, August 29th, 2023 likely loaded with taconite pellets for Detroit


The water tower from the now closed Dunn Paper plant in Port Huron, Michigan as well as the Port Huron Lighthouse are in the background
Kind of a long and sleek looking lake boat, Lee A. Tregurtha is 826 feet long.


No comments:

Post a Comment