Friday 8 September 2023

A Couple of Boxcars

 A couple of boxcars to feature this week, both with ties originally to Detroit, as they're on their way into the Tri-State Paper recycler on the GTW.

First up, I thought we'd have a look at a former Detroit & Mackinac boxcar, that's been re-lettered for the fictional LLSR.

This one is a pretty dusty looking boxcar

Below the reporting marks, the CAPY number data has been blanked out.  I don't really know why railroads do that now, but they do. I keep a small piece of white decal film that I had lightly oversprayed with a beige colour I trim it into the tiny pieces to use for the old notices by the door.

Next up is this FMC boxcar, in the nifty looking Port Huron and Detroit paint scheme.  Unusual to see a boxcar with the logo/herald on the left end, and the reporting marks on the right.

This boxcar had languished as brand new in my storage cupboard for years, until I recently saw inspiration on another modeler's version, and I just finally brought it out for weathering a couple of weeks ago.  A pretty weather-beaten looking boxcar now, the CAPY number has been blanked out with decal film on this one too.

A view through the pillars of the Gratiot Avenue overpass.  I intend to patch and re-letter this one from PH&D, but haven't gotten to that just yet.

A view from the Gratiot overpass of the two boxcars together at the Tri-State Paper site.

The Woodstock Train Show is this Sunday, so I guess "modelling season" must be here. I'm going to be there for an hour or maybe a little more, hoping to find a bargain or two.

1 comment: