Friday 28 July 2023

A Couple of Gondolas

I ran across this photo by Robin Thomas of a loaded gondola on www.railcarphotos.com this week, and I immediately noticed how much the load in this gondola looks like the loads I have for many of my gondolas.This gondola photo was taken in Little Rock, Arkansas

And a loaded gondola on the layout with a load that looks quite close to the prototype load above.  Brian Smith gave me the "busheling" chips to use as scrap metal on the layout.
Here's a look at my ZVBX (Ferrous Processing & Trading) gondola loaded with busheling that I think looks quite a lot like the material in the prototype photo.

And speaking of gondolas, I brought this underused one out of the storage cupboard to use it out on the layout for a while.
Something about it just didn't quite seem to fit, so I brought it over to the workbench

And here it is back in just about the same spot again later the next day
Mostly the changes are decals from Microscale, but I've also done a bit with paint pens and fine tip artist pens as well

I also changed the weathering inside the gondola, using AK Interactive products and some chalks

The graffiti decals are a bit too bright looking, so I lightly sprayed over them with Roof Brown as well.  Not too dirty, but better.

I bought myself this Otter VaIley gondola lettered for American Iron & Metal, but haven't done any weathering  to it.  At least not yet.
The size of the model surprised me.  I didn't really realize that the cars are that tall.

Another view.  A really nice looking freight car, but weathered would be better

Have a great week, and do some model railroading.

No comments:

Post a Comment