Friday 14 July 2023

A Bit of Scenery on the Layout

I've had this idea of building industries or structures as "modules" that can be moved in or out or replaced on the layout for a long time now.  Actually, the idea is borrowed/taken from George Dutka, who I believe changes out his structures fairly often.  I'm working - albeit slowly - toward having many of my industry modules having same size footprints as each other, and so far I've got 3 of them that can be switched in or out with each other.

However, I've found that doing this can leave a sort of seam between the edge of the module and more permanent layout scenery. Kind of like can be seen in this photo below:

The edge of the module is quite obvious, as  in this photo, so I've got to set about hiding it

I picked up a package of Woodland Scenics "Edging Strips" static grass product, in the light green colour to try to use here.
I thought maybe I could put it along the visible front edge of the MDF. Then when I put a single piece down, I thought that the colour difference between it and the dark ground foam that's already in the area was far too contrasting. Probably should have gotten a darker colour of the Edging Strips.

Kind of looks like a big long furry green caterpillar

So, I cut the strip into a few shorter pieces and spread them randomly apart. Then I filled in between them with dark green ground foam
I also found an old "Super Tree" that had seen better days, which I placed on it's side.  It's in the foreground in this view.

Another look at the same area.

And down at the opposite end of the recycle plant. This is surely not the greatest ever scenery on a model railroad, but at least the edge of the building's base isn't noticeable now.

And an overall view of the rail side of Tri-State Paper.  I'm now thinking of this bit of scenery as being a win for the layout

And changing to a new topic, Scale Trains says they are going to be offering models of the 86 foot 4-door Thrall cars in half a dozen paint/colour schemes.  "Pre-ordering " runs until the end of July, with the models to be available January 31st 2024. Pretty nice looking models.

Here's a link to their announcement:

https://www.scaletrains.com/ho-scale/ho-scale-freight-cars/rivet-counter-ho-scale-thrall-86-high-cube-double-plug-door-boxcar.html?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=campaign&_kx=yCCH6L-pM9k965fMpU7dQH6ev5ANvg28-2laJFjMotU%3D.hnq4B2


1 comment:

  1. Good job Jim. Seams can be a bit of a problem if the bases fit is not exact. I usually build up some shrubs at areas that might show. On roadways I add a vehicle overtop of the seam. Most of the time I just don't worry about them. Most visitors don't even notice the joints or that I can change out structures till I point them out. An easy way to complete a transition at joints is to plan on a concrete pad or base for the structure. One never sees the joint if one goes that route. George

    ReplyDelete