Friday 9 June 2023

Tri-State Paper !

So, I've decided that my paper recycler warehouse will be known, at least to me, as Tri-State Paper.  The layout is sort of set in the upper midwest (in my mind anyway), so the name might kind of infer Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois.  Or something like that.

As for the building itself, I've added numbers beside the loading dock doors.  I cut black decal film to 8"x8", which would be half the dimensions of a single concrete block (8" x 16"). Then I laid white 8" numbers from a Microscale decal set on top of the black.

A closeup of Door Number 1.  I guess I could have trimmed that black decal film a little better as it looks to be just a bit too short.

Moving on to Door Number 2, here's a view showing inside the loading dock.

Inside the doorway, we can see some stacked bales of shredded paper. I think there should maybe be a few pieces of shredded paper laying loose on the loading dock floor, and also on the ground below the doors.

The walls of the building are made up of 11 panels of concrete block from two of the Walther's Magic Pan Bakery kits.  (I also have a number of wall panels left over, so hopefully I can find a use for them sometime as well.) The wall panels leave seams visible at the top of panels where they join each other. This, and my solution to the problem, can be seen in the photo below. 

I didn't like the look of having the seams between so many wall sections, so my solution to that is to attach Evergreen Styrene strips to the top of the wall to cover them.  I painted the strips to match the painted brick colour, and glued them in place, also covering the tops of the styrene strip pilasters.

Ballast, dirt, and ground cover along the tracks and foreground  have been added to the scene as well.

Here's the building right after being set into place on the layout.
It took me only a couple of minutes to move the whole building module over from the workbench and get the rail joiners connected to the industry's spur .  So Tri-State Paper is now open and ready for business !

A pair of fifty foot boxcars at Doors 1 and 2 and a 60 foot high-cube boxcar down at Door 5 are the first to be spotted at Tri-State's loading dock.  And to boot there comes a GTW auto-parts train to switch the auto-parts plant next door !

Just a few things still remain to do on this scene, one being to add some ground cover in the area between the main line track and the edge of the MDF, which is too visible right now and needs some camouflaging. Chain link fencing along the foreground "property line" would be good too, but I just don't have any wire to build fencing with right now.

I'm really happy with the way this industry module has turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment