Friday 30 June 2023

AnnArbor Boxcar 10012

While I've been mainly in "weathering mode" for the last couple of weeks, I also found time to run a few freights around the layout as well.

Here comes GTW 6252, pulling the auto parts train.  I actually had 16 of the 86 foot boxcars in this train, which was kind of impressive ...at least to me.  The two TBOX cars in the background to the right were part of the South Industrial job over on the JSSX.

 As 6252 passed by me, the 3rd boxcar caught my attention.  It's the AnnArbor boxcar that I had painted and decaled a couple of years ago or so.  One of my goals here has been to have all of my freight cars (and everything else) on the layout weathered, and this one happened to stand out to me because it wasn't.

I promptly removed AA10012 from the layout and put it over onto the workbench, adding it to the weathering lineup.  Actually, it was more like I moved it straight to the front of the line.

This car started out as an undecorated Athearn model, but of course Tangent now has an AnnArbor 86 foot boxcar released, which is truly great looking model. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to keep this one though.

Here's a few looks at the results of the weathering:

Mostly just some simple vertical rust and grime streaks, done with Burnt Umber with just a bit of Ivory Black mixed in.

And the other side:

A few scratches and then light passes of Roof Brown through the airbrush were added along the bottom sill and the top of the sides as well.  In this photo the boxcar is passing through the GTW yard and on it's way to the parts plant. So that's one more freight car that's weathered.

Meanwhile in 1:1 world news, Cando Rail announced this past Tuesday that they have completed their expansion at their Sarnia rail car storage facility.  This link has the story, plus there's a stop-action aerial video of the Cando expansion as it progressed.

https://sarnianewstoday.ca/news/2023/06/27/sarnia-rail-terminal-expansion-complete

No comments:

Post a Comment