Friday 23 June 2023

State of Maine Boxcars

I had the pleasure this week of doing some weathering on a pair of 40 foot boxcars belonging to Don Janes.  Although they are well out of the closer-to-modern era that I model on my own layout, I've always thought that these red, white and blue cars are real eyecatchers.

Don provided me with another similar car that had already been weathered to use as an example of the kind of look he wanted for the project.  I don't know who had done the weatherng on the example, but they did very nice work.

The weathering process I used was pretty much the same for both of these boxcars, first using my airbrush to fade the paint.  That was followed by adding rusty and grimy streaks of artist acrylics vertically down the sides of the boxcars.  With that done and after allowing sufficient time for the paints to dry well (a couple of days), I went back to the airbrush to add an overall light coating of grime to the boxcars.

Here are a few views of BAR 2256
On this car, the rust down the rivets is done using thinned Burnt Umber acrylic.

And the other side

A small double scratch to the left of the door.

 Below is the 2nd boxcar, NH 45031

The rust streaks on this boxcar are done using Burnt Sienna, so they have a bit more of an orangish colour than on the other one

 
Another view of NH 45031

And below is a look at Don's three State of Maine boxcars all together.  The 3rd one down is the one that Don brought as a sample
I think the three of them all look great together

And just in case you've read all the way to the bottom of the blog, I'm attaching this link to another website that I found hadn't seen before.  Primarily for modelers of steel mills (obviously by the name of the site), https://steelmillmodelerssupply.com/ , but some items might also make out of the ordinary gondola or flat car loads.

No comments:

Post a Comment