Friday 9 September 2022

Evans MISS 304020

George Dutka took this photo in London, Ontario and sent it along in an email this week.  CN's GP38 #4908, formerly of the GATX Locomotive Group.  What got my attention is the way letters in the word "locomotive" on the side have been painted out to form the letters "cn" in the lower case.

Part of the "o" and part of the "m" are painted out to form the letters "cn".  Pretty creative, and would make for a real interesting model.

The header photo up top for September is an Evans 50 foot boxcar, lettered for Mississippi Railway, and featuring the crank-style sliding door.  The door crank is a nice "different" sort of feature, which is what prompted me to buy the model.  I kind of remember loading a few cars with those devices a great many year ago.

The model is made by ExactRail, and I've actually had it for a couple of years now.  It stayed in it's box until this past past May, when it made it out as far as the workbench.

The boxcar as it was, new out of the box

Well, inspiration finally struck and I weathered this one.  Some of the markings on it were inspired by this photo of this boxcar, which is clearly not the same type of car or railroad name, but I liked the "look" of it.  Sorry, I don't have the name of the photographer, but credit to them for taking this picture.

I wish I had faded the blue more than I did, but I was worried about making it appear too "frosty" if I used too much of the Rapido Flat Haze, which is white. 

I used a light blue paint pen to change the colour of the lettering.  Smokebox Graphics reflective striping are about to go on

The reflective stripes are on now, and then roof brown was sprayed along the bottom sill to take the bright shine away.  A bit of it was sprayed along the top of the sides as well.

The 2nd side.  The graffiti scribbles are literally just that.  Scribbles with a fine tipped red pen.

Barn Wood craft paint and then a really light amount of Tamiya's Black Panel Line smeared across the tack boards to weather them.

Out on the street trackage here.  Something I've been adding lately to boxcars is some small pieces of off-white decal around the left-hand side of the door, trying to represent old notice stickers.


And finally this week, for those that might have missed it, congratulations go to Pierre Oliver (we've never met) at Elgin Car Shops who has announced (back on August 29th) that he's acquired manufacturing rights for Rail Yard Models X79 boxcar and G47 gondola.  I find this news quite interesting/exciting as I've watched out for years at train shows and ebay for one of the Rail Yard X79 cars and never seen one,  Here's the link to Elgin Car Shops blog. You'll have to probably scroll down to the August 29th post to read Pierre's announcement.


And a look at one of those prototype X79 boxcars that I'd like to be able to emulate for the JSSX:
Just one example of the Kellogg's boxcars

No comments:

Post a Comment