Saturday 22 September 2018

That REA Building, CitiRail Light Engine, and a CP Cylindrical Hopper too

Continuing on from last week, I've now finished up on the REA transfer building.  The windows have shades in them now (green masking tape). 3 of the windows are boarded up.  For that, I cut little pieces of cardboard from a cereal box, and brushed on a light coat of craft paint "Barn Wood".  There's now half a dozen roof vents attached, and the loading doors and dock are weathered. This location of the building is just a temporary spot as I'm not really planning on keeping it. 

I spent a few minutes down at the Sarnia Via station platform this past Tuesday.  All of the westbound signal lights were red.  There was a yellow light at the east end of C Yard, but I thought it was likely for the switcher that was working at that end.

With the lack of activity I had decided I might as well head back home, but just as I put the car into gear to leave, a headlight appeared on the eastbound track coming out of the St.Clair Tunnel.  I had enough time to get out of the car and get my camera ready for this shot. Here is Citirail (CREX)  ES44AC number 1301 running light past the station platform.



And finally this week, I pulled this Intermountain covered hopper out of the cupboard, and got going on the weathering of it. It's a great looking freight car.

Here's the shiny new just-out-of-the-box photo:


And what the car looks like now...I'm not likely to keep this one for myself as I don't have a grain facility on the JSSX.  The Woodstock Train Show is coming up in October, so if I get myself a table there, I'll take this one along to sell.

And the other side:

Of course the wheels and trucks are done on this cylindrical hopper too, but they don't show well in the pictures, so here's the process in pictures with them still on the workbench. The can of Krylon Camouflage Brown I spray them with after masking is not shown.


I always try to remember to clean the Krylon off of the axle points with a little alcohol on a Q-Tip, as the paint on the points would affect how well  the car rolls.




No comments:

Post a Comment