Friday 13 October 2023

Some Scenery Improvement

I finally decided that it was time to do a little improvement type work on the layout.  I haven't done much of that in quite a long while, so it will make for a nice change for me.

This is the general area that I've decided to spruce up first:

This is the GTW line across the back of the layout. You can see the need for some ballast and vegetation growth on the far side of the tracks where there is none.

Not really a ton of progress so far, but  it does look a little better. I'll continue on with it.

While getting the ballast and ground foam containers out, I happened across this package of Caboose Industries ground throws that I'd forgotten I even had.
I'll paint and install these on those two spur switches on the GTW line in the next day or two.

Here's a depressed centre flatcar that I've been weathering for Brian. He hasn't even seen it yet.  Until now anyway...
I didn't take a picture before I started, but when the car was fresh out of the box the decks were a fairly glossy black.

I brush painted the decks with Vallejo Rust Texture, and then added some powders in rust and silver-grey colours. Hard to see, but there's also some rust streaking down the curved slope white areas.

A side view of the flat car. I flattened down the yellow with a bit of  Tamiya Panel Line brown.

A bit of clear flat added, and it's all finished up for you Brian.



2 comments:

  1. Hey Jim what are you using for ballast...George

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only ever had Woodland Scenics brand, Gray Blend and Dark Gray.

    ReplyDelete