Friday 20 October 2023

A Bit More Scenery, Plus a Boxcar

I had picked up these small packs of Vallejo's static grass clumps a few weeks ago, and thought it was about time to try to spread a few pieces around the layout.

I found a better photo of the Vallejo static grass clumps, so I removed the picture that had all the glare from the lights and put this one in it's place.

I tried to spread the clumps around randomly in the same general area that I had just recently added the ground cover


There's one of the Caboose Industries ground throws that I had found.  I've painted them with Rust Texture before I installed them on the layout.  they look pretty good, I think.

Or do they ?

This ground throw looks to be wildly out-of-scale compared to the crew member that's just behind it. I had never realized how big these things are.  I think that I might have to figure out a "Plan B" as far as ground throws go.

Also, over the past week or ten days, I weathered this Wisconsin Central boxcar for Jamie. It's the drying time for some of the blisters and scratches that take the longest. 
Just out of the box this is a nice looking boxcar

Faded the paint colour down with Concrete Gray and a pink coral colour craft paint, and then masked around the door before painting it white.

The reporting marks have been patched with black trim film and stencil lettering from Microscale.  Some scratches and a few rust blisters added too.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jim, that boxcar looks perfect! Caboose Industries also has N scale versions of their ground throws...you could try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Sean. Means a lot to hear that from you.

      Delete
  2. I agree the ground throws are huge. I mounted mine at the edge of the benchwork along the aisle and connected them to the switch throw-rod using rods running in tubes. This is very common in England for controlling turnouts. A bit hard to retrofit to existing scenery after-the-fact though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they look massive. Somebody makes ground throws that are a more modern looking type, but they aren't functional. Just for appearance. I should look into getting some of those sometime.

    ReplyDelete