Friday 11 August 2023

Some More Gondolas

I'll start off this post with before and after photos of a couple of gondolas (Atlas models) that were brought to me recently to receive some weathering...

The "Before" photo.  Pretty shiny looking to begin with.

Same car spotted at the American Iron facility.  The spray painted graffiti offers a clue as to some of this gondolas travels.

2nd gondola's "before" photo

And the "after" photo.  A hint of the original blue still remains along the bottom sill

I did get going on my Otter Valley scrap metal gondola.  It's not quite finished up yet, but here's a couple of looks at it so far...
This view of the inside of the gondola gives us a pretty good look at the way the Metal Effects Rust treatment turned out.  Keeping my brush strokes vertical helps to somewhat simulate the location of the ribs of this freight car. I'm really pleased with this result.

AIMX 14114 is spotted here just behind the scrap metal yard.  On the outside, my first step was to spray thinned Roof Brown in light layers over the entire car.  I did so in order to take down the original off-white colour. The rust and scrapes were then created with Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber artist oils.

I got the idea for the white patches on the sides and at the bottom of the ribs from a photo I had seen online.  The spraying of the Roof Brown colour on the sides also helps the fresher white patches to show up.

I first thought of using white decal trim film for those, but decided that might be kind of complicated trying to get decals to settle down properly in those locations. I also thought of masking the areas and spraying them white with my airbrush.  But that might be a pretty complicated masking job.  So, I finally settled on using white paint pens for the patches. 

I still want to put just a bit more rust on this side.  And maybe some small graffiti scribbles on both sides as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment