Friday 21 April 2023

This and That for April

One of my neighbors (Doug) recently brought this unopened train set over here to me, asking that in exchange I let him have a look at the JSSX.  His idea, not mine.  Anyway, he told me that he'd bought the set brand new many years ago when he thought he'd like to set up a layout for himself, but then never followed through.  He said it's never even been opened.

I know that the engine for this set was thought of quite highly when it first came out.

I don't actually have a use for it, so I don't quite know yet what I'll do with it, but if I sell it I'll give the money to Doug.

Next up, here's a couple of looks again at the American Hardware Supply building that I was working on a few weeks ago.  This is of course the rail side of the building.  I got almost all of the warp out of the MDF that it sits on. Although it might look like it's still there, that's mostly the camera view.

Since I last showed it here, you can see that I've blanked out a whole bunch of windows on the building. I also added in a water pipe which was made out of some plastic sprue and painted with Rust Texture.

Here's a look at the truck loading end, with more windows blanked out.

I've got this next building slated for demolition...well removal and re-build really, and after thinking about it for quite a while, I think it's about time. This is a kitbash of walls from a Walther's bakery kit and extra walls from a couple of Roberts Printing kits.  It is located in a corner of the layout.
The plan for this is to use the concrete block walls at the right-hand end over again, and combine them with the same type of wall from a 2nd copy of the bakery kit, which I've had on hand here for several months.  Maybe I can sell the taller walls if I don't find something else to do with them.

I think this should work out well - hope so anyway - and I plan to use it as a paper recycler which would take in a mix of 50 foot boxcars and high cube boxcars as well.  I think I should be able to nicely fit in 4 loading doors, so the place could be quite busy.

I've been wondering how I could make bales of recycled paper that I could set out on a loading dock or at least be visible in an open doorway.  Any thoughts on that would be welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I bought that Mountain Express set when it came out. That engine is a great runner. The cars, not so much, but I weighed them down with some steel shot and they ran better after that. That 4-8-2 went round and round on the brass track many times on my son's floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve...this is helpful and good to know. I appreciate it.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete