First up this week, this will be the blog's header photo for August. There very often are trailers, temporarily dropped along the gravel shoulder of the road at this location. Can't park 'em on the other side of the street.
It's not on the layout yet, but I do have a place picked out for it's location. Have a look at the kit...
The trailer kit's package. You'd think that for $26.75 all of the parts would be included. Missing parts were the bottom step and the centre stringer for the steps. Oh well, not too big of a deal really. I cut a tiny strip of styrene for the bottom step, and I'll live without the centre stringer.
Overview of the kit parts.
It was molded in grey plastic, but I painted the trailer Flat White, and the landing gear are painted dark rusty brown. The tires got a light coat of brown as well just to take the shine off of them.
The stairs are painted "Barn Wood" craft paint and then a dark wash over top of that.
To try to simulate a replacement door on the rear of the trailer, I masked off just one door when I painted the trailer white. A dab of red craft paint for the brake light lenses.
I chose to leave off the placards from the sides of the trailer, at least for now. I guess I'll just store them and the other spare parts inside in case I need them later, making this a true storage trailer.
For a fitting weathered look, I've highlighted each of the ribs and the seams with a thin wash of ivory black. To simulate exhaust soot I added a bit of black weathering powder to the front corner areas at the top of the trailer.
I have to do some "site preparation" first, but I'll try to have the storage trailer in place on the layout for next time.