Saturday, 3 October 2026

B&O 493027 Auto Parts Box

Last week I posted about starting weathering on three freight cars.  Well, here's one of them all finished up after about 9 or 10 hours actual working time.

This Thrall 86 foot Auto-Parts boxcar is a Class One Model Works model.

This is the Class One promotional photo (different car number than mine) from their site, since I forgot to take a "before" picture before I started weathering.  I think that these have become a little hard to find now, so I'm glad to have gotten mine when I did.

So here's some looks at mine all finished up:
We can see a couple of small darker paint patches down low in the middle section, and one at the top as well.  Then the boxcar colour was faded overall with a spray of a beige tone.  I prefer to use that rather than an actual white for paint fading.

I further faded just one door to suggest that maybe the railroad replaced that one for some reason. Also, on all the other doors I really lightly sprayed the top panel with a red primer colour to imply that the original blue was fading away.

The bottom sill is darkened with black Panel Line, which I brushed on, waited a minute or two and then wiped away.  I did the same around the perimeters of all of the doors as well just to highlight the seams. 

And the other side of B&O 493027 is done the same way, but also features a bunch of graffiti along the lower areas. I know not everybody likes or wants to see graffiti, but it's the modern thing now, so I usually put some on one side. These are all decals from a variety of manufacturers.  I sprayed a few light layers of Roof Brown along the bottom portions to flatten down the graffiti.

Also, the rust streaking is done with three colours this time.  I used Raw Sienna first, then Burnt Sienna over that, and just a bit of Burnt Umber at the top of the streaking.  The Raw Sienna is a more yellow colour, which shows up better against the blue of the boxcar.

And some views from out on the layout
To try to show some wear on the roof, I sprayed the whole roof with a red primer colour.  Then sprayed overtop of that with B&O Blue.  Once the blue had dried overnight, I sanded the roof panels with 600 grit sandpaper to expose some of that primer.

During some switching

This view shows the brake end, which has collected some grime

Second from the end of a parts train.

And a look at the B&O parts car spotted at the plant for the first time.  This one makes a real nice addition to the layout.

And that's about it for now.  Have a good week.  Happy October everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment