Friday 25 October 2024

PC Gondola Weathering

I thought that this time I'd present a few looks at a (Rapido) gondola that I've recently weathered for Don Janes.

I'm sorry that I didn't take a picture of the shiny green gondola as it was new and just taken out of the box.

Although it doesn't really look like it in these photos, I brushed over the outside of the gondola with Burnt Umber water mixable artist oil paint. I dabbed that paint on the top horizontal chords of the car and also on each of the panels, and then used a very slightly damp flat brush to smear those dabs down the sides creating lots of dark areas. 

Now, sometimes, it's not really about the paint you put on the model when weathering.  Sometimes it's about the paint you take off, and that was the plan here.

I used damp cotton swabs (cheap ones) and pulled them straight down at each panel to remove some of the paint that I had just applied.  Doing this left some paint remaining in the corrugations and crevices of the panels.  After allowing that to dry for a couple of days, I dry brushed a mix of grey and light brown powders over random areas to add some more grime. A pretty realistic effect overall.

The interior of the gondola was rusted using Modern Masters Metal Effects Rust following the instructions.  It takes about a day with that product for the full rust effect to really develop, but there's really no hurry and I think that it's worth the wait.

This gondola looks like it fits right into the scene at the Ferrous Processing & Trading recycling industry on my layout here.

Also, I've been invited to a weathering workshop presented by George Dutka on Saturday afternoon.  I've never been to one of those type of things before and am looking forward to it.  Attendees are asked to bring brushes, Pan Pastels if we have them, and a boxcar or covered hopper to weather.

I didn't really have a covered hopper to bring, but last Sunday at the train show in Woodstock I picked up this one to bring along.
I'll let you know how this works out.  Wish me luck with it.

Have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment