Friday 27 September 2024

ABOX Re-Weathered

 I had decided this week to re-weather this ABOX car, so here's the before and after views of my ABOX 51091...

The boxcar looked alright before, but I decided to change it to a lighter, more faded yellow.  I removed this previous weathering using 91% isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs.  Gotta be careful though to not inadvertently remove the yellow factory paint too.

Once the brownish previous weathering was removed, I faded the yellow down to a lighter colour with my usual Concrete Gray.

So that same boxcar now looks like this...
I modernized the boxcar a bit with some graffiti on the side. I like this rendition of ABOX 51091 much better.

Also, I finished up weathering this Rapido gondola model for Don this week.
The outside is faded and dirty, the inside is looking rusty.

As I happened to be standing by the entrance to the layout with my camera in my hand, I took this sort of a detail type picture from South Industrial Boulevard and then posted the photo on facebook's "HO Scale Model Railroading" group on Thursday afternoon.  I was quite surprised when 5 hours later there had been 380 views and 36 comments had been left.  Most comments were general in nature, but a few were more specific.

I like the picture, but I've never had a reaction like that from a posting before. Some of the comments remarked on the litter, the Jersey Barriers, or the guy wire.  No one even seemed to notice the boxcar.

So that was my week.  I hope yours was just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment