I decided that I'd patch over the giant DM logo/reporting mark on the left, but wanted to first remove it from the side of the boxcar. The Detroit & Mackinac graphic on the right-hand side is going to remain. To remove the logo took about 25 minutes. I first brushed MicroSol over the area, and then covered it over with a single "ply" of paper towel, and kept it wet by adding a drop or two more of the MicroSol. After about 20 minutes, I lightly scrubbed the white logo with a wet Q-Tip and it pretty much peeled right off.
The fading of the original paint was done by spraying it with ModelFlex Concrete Gray. Flat black was used to cover the area where the large logo had been, and one door has been primer to compensate for transgressions by forklift operators. Earlier paint patches on either side of the door.
I've checked the list of reporting marks on rrpicturearcjives.net, and going by the reporting marks listed on that site, the LLSR reporting marks that I used on this boxcar are fictional. Here's the (slightly embellished) story behind their use on this freight car...
While I was in the train room one evening, my adoring wife (that's right, I'm adorable) wandered into the train room, and after looking around for a few moments, she asked me how come I'd never painted a freight car for her (and that's when the fight started).
So, to make a long story short, the LLS part of the reporting marks on this boxcar are her initials. I used the "R" letter because there were no "X's" left on the decal sheet. I believe this to be the first (and maybe the last) LLSR boxcar anywhere.
LLSR 2281 all finished up and rolling along on the JSSX.
And here's a couple of views of the covered hopper loading conveyor that I've been working away at for the last little while. I've got it positioned the layout now, still just test fitting the scene.
I still have scenery to put in to blend the scene together with the existing track spur. This "industry" will be able to accept one or maybe two covered hoppers at a time.