Friday 19 May 2023

New Industry Build (Part 2)

I thought I'd be a little bit further along on this new industry that I'm kind of kit-bashing. I did make some progress this week though.

Here are a few photos of the building as things moved along...

All masked up in order to put a red stripe along the upper portion of the block walls.  With the tape in place, I first sprayed that exposed area with Tamiya Clear Flat to seal it.  With that dried well, a layer of AK Interactive's "Worn Effects" chipping fluid followed.  Using the chipping fluid will allow me to remove some of the coloured layer to come, which will (hopefully) give a bit of a weather-worn effect to the stripe.


Once the chipping fluid had dried well, I sprayed the stripe with CraftSmart Brick Red. Then I went over that with a damp, stiff brush removing some of the red that I'd just sprayed on.

Here it is after the masking tape is removed:

I cut and painted some .030" styrene strip as pilasters, and added them in order to the cover the seams between the kit's concrete block panels.  There's a rear wall that's been added too, and an interior floor that will be somewhat visible where I've decided to have two of the loading doors remain open. The doors that are closed have been painted the same Brick Red as the building's stripe.


A few weeks ago I made mention that the iconic Pere Marquette rail bridge in Port Huron, Michigan was about to be taken down and removed. The local Sarnia Journal printed this photo of what little remains. This view is looking north.

Photo by McKenna Golat of Port Huron Times Herald.

I actually intended to include this photo by Brian Smith in the blog last week, but failed to do so. Anyway, Brian did some railfanning at North Conway yard in Pittsburgh a couple of weeks ago, and sent me this view of NS gondola 211147 featuring some MECRO graffiti.

Notice the slightly differing rust tones in the interiors of each of the 3 gondolas in Brian's photo
 


No comments:

Post a Comment