Friday 22 March 2024

Plastic Pellets Hopper

I picked up this new-in-box (Walthers') National Steel Car plastics pellet hopper from Craig on one of the facebook groups last weekend.  With this new purchase in mind, I took a ride down to the Sarnia station and freight yard to see if I could find some inspiration for future weathering on this freight car.

I'm very pleased that my new pellet hopper arrived in brand new condition.  No broken or missing parts at all, although it did come with plastic wheels.

My last remaining set of metal wheels quickly and easily replaced the plastic wheels, and I set the pellet hopper out on the layout for a quick picture. 

I didn't see any trains actually running down by the station, as is my usual luck, but C-Yard certainly appeared to be pretty full of cars, also as usual.  Besides the dozens of tank cars, I saw three pellet hoppers coupled together and took photos of them. These may not be the exact type of car as my model, but they're similar enough for me.

Sure, there's lots of graffiti on this ICRX car, but I like the rust streaks

Speaking of rust streaks, this car has some that maybe I could emulate on my model

Very limited rusting here, a paint patch, and a little bit of graffiti

And on the next track over...

This one looks to be a pretty clean pellet hopper, but there are four or five darker grey patches, at least on this side.

So I found lots for me to consider when I get ready to weather my new model.

Have a good week.  Happy modeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment