Friday 29 March 2024

Jersey Barriers

Quite a while ago, I picked up a package of Walthers concrete barriers, also often called Jersey barriers, from the Otter Valley Railway store.  Molded in grey plastic, these should make kind of a nice detail to add to the layout.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to find a use for 24 of these, but that's how many are included in the Walthers package.

6 parts on each of 4 sprues.  Walthers Part # 949-4175

I'm not sure if I'll be putting all 24 out on the layout, but I've weathered 12 of them to begin with.

I first sprayed 6 of the barriers with AK Interactive's chipping fluid, and then airbrushed yellow overtop of that - I used ModelFlex Railbox Yellow, which is of course a water based paint.  The other 6 barriers were sprayed Concrete Gray.

To remove some of the yellow paint, I simply rubbed those barriers rather gently with a damp paint brush, which revealed some of the original colour underneath, making a nice weatherworn appearance.  The grime that I then added to the barriers was done by brushing on Burnt Umber and Ivory Black overtop of the of the remained yellow and gray.

Blocking vehicle access to the closed down interlocking tower are two of the yellow barriers

Here, a trio of Jersey barriers separate trailer docks from the rail spur at a warehouse along South Industrial Ave.   

We'll close out this time with a bit of a post script to last week's post about my pellet hopper, Brian Smith sent along this photo from his travels somewhere down there in Fla.

Built by North American Car Company, the MWCX reporting marks indicate the car is owned by MidWest Railcar Company. Looks like this one is showing some age with it's interesting rust pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment