Friday 2 February 2024

Hot Metal and Auto Parts

Top of the Blog for February will be this older view as a pair of GTW GP38-2's as they switch out the MidWest Plastics plant before I relocated the entire structure module. This location is where Tri-State Paper sits.  I can trade the two facilities back and forth if I want to as they're assembled on the same size footprint.  To do so takes about 5 minutes...well, maybe 10.

The Pollock hot metal car is coming along.  A bit slowly perhaps, but I have made a little progress.

I've painted most of the car.  I used a flat brush to apply Vallejo Rust texture, which due to it's gritty texture simply won't flow through an airbrush. This is 3 coats of the Rust Texture.

The tank sits just loosely on the frame. And the top ladle portion is only press-fitted into place, so it can be easily popped off and the orange "liquid metal" filler removed if desired. The brake wheels (there's one on each side) and the pins (in grey) need to be painted.  Still several more details to be added as well, plus the trucks and wheels of course.

My JBOX 86 foot auto parts car is finished up now, and here it is out on the wilds of the layout. I ran into a bit of a snag with some of the decals, but CMR Products really came through big-time for me, so it's all done now.


This detail shot at one end of the boxcar shows decals used from Microscale for the patch and lettering, PDC decals for the RailBox logo graphics, and CMR Products decals for the data
I'm really happy with the way the rust turned out.

Well, I say this car is complete now, but truth is I may very well add some graffiti to the boxcar as well. And reflective striping too.

That's about it for now.  Happy February everybody.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment