Wednesday 13 December 2017

Weathering Wednesday #007

In this past Saturday's post I included an in-progress picture taken by George Dutka of my latest weathering project.  Here, weathering complete, is my 86 foot, 8 door GT boxcar.  Most modellers that know me know that these 8-door cars are my favourites.  It's just too bad that my layout isn't big enough to hold more of them.  I usually only have about 3 or maybe 4 of them out at one time.

First 2 pictures are taken on the workbench, with a similar car that I weathered a long time ago in the background, Also, note that on top of the other model, there are two photographs that I referenced throughout the process. I used one for each side of my car.  I'm pretty happy with the way this one turned out, although I think maybe I went just a little bit too heavy with some of the rust toward the right hand end of the car.  I took a best guess on the appearance of the roof.

I tried to simulate the darkened doors by masking them off and then spraying roof brown through the airbrush, followed by sprays of weathered black.


The other side, of course. I chose to not copy the black and white patched reporting marks from my 2nd reference photo.  I figure that I can always simply change that later if I decide to go ahead with it.

Out on the layout

The two boxcars together on their way to the auto parts plant.

I have at least two more 86 foot boxcars in my cupboard awaiting their turn for weathering, although they are the 4-door type.

No comments:

Post a Comment